Argentina vs Croatia Odds
Argentina vs Croatia World Cup Odds
The Nizhny Novgorod Stadium is the venue hosting the 2018 World Cup Group D match between Argentina and Croatia at 21:00 local time on Thursday 21st June.
Argentina vs Croatia PredictionDraw (+235) Bet Now
Argentina need to perform much better than they did against Iceland otherwise they run the risk of being eliminated at the Group Stage for the first time since 2002. The South Americans failed to create enough clear cut chances in their opening game as they struggled to break down a stoic Iceland defence.
Croatia got off to a flying start and can edge closer to the knockout stages with a draw against Argentina. Croatia’s Luka Modric is the key man in this game and everything positive will pass through the Real Madrid star.
Croatian forward Ante Rebic said to the FIFA website that “Messi is 50 percent of Argentina’s squad. If we block him well, I think we have a good chance.” It was a tactic that worked for Iceland, will it work for Croatia?
Argentina vs Croatia Key Bites
- Lionel Messi needs to be at his brilliant best if Argentina are to win this fixture
- Luka Modric turned on the style against Nigeria and is key in this game
- Mario Mandzukic will be relishing playing against a relatively weak central defense
- Argentina were the first team Croatia ever played at the World Cup. Argentina won 1-0 in 1998.
- Luka Modric played as a defensive midfielder against Nigeria. He is expected to take up the same role against Argentina.
Argentina vs Croatia Betting Trends
- Argentina slipped up in their opening 2018 World Cup game with Iceland and drew 1-1.
- Lionel Messi missed a penalty during the 1-1 draw with Iceland.
- Lionel Messi had 11 shots during the Iceland draw, only Italy’s Luigi Riva had more shots without scoring back in 1966 with 13 shots at goal.
- This was the first time Argentina didn’t win their opening match at the World Cup since 1990.
- Lionel Messi has now missed four of the last seven penalties he’s taken, not including penalty shootouts.
- Argentina are +1100 to win the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
- Argentina are priced at +125 second favorites to win Group D.
- The Argentinians are -400 to advance from the Group Stage into the Round of 16.
- A draw against Croatia could push Argentina towards a Group Stage exit for the first time since 2002.
- Sergio Aguero scored in the 19th minute while wearing the number 19 shirt. Lionel Messi was the previous wearer of the number 19 short at a World Cup in 2006.
- Croatia saw off Nigeria 2-0 in their opening fixture of the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
- Luka Modric was in inspirational form for Croatia and is crucial to his side’s success in Russia.
- Luka Modric’s corner was the assist for Croatia’s opening goal. Modric then converted a penalty to double Croatia’s lead.
- A draw for Croatia would mean they only need a point in their final game against Iceland to reach the Round of 16.
- Croatia have scored at least two goals in six of their previous eight games.
- Croatia are +2800 to win the 2018 World Cup.
- Croatia are -105 to win Group D.
- Croatia are -700 favorites to progress from the group stage.
- Mario Mandzukic has only scored one goal in his previous eight appearances for Croatia.
- These sides last met in 2014 and Argentina won 2-1. They met in 2006 and Croatia won 3-2. The same game at the 1998 World Cup saw Argentina win 1-0.
Argentina vs Croatia World Cup Preview
Argentina managed an incredible 27 shots at the Iceland goal during the sides’ 1-1 draw on Matchday 1 of Group D but only seven of those hit their intended target, a percentage that simply has to improve against Croatia who are less likely to give away as many shooting opportunities.
That figure of 27 shots flatters Argentina somewhat as many of those were from distance because Argentina failed to create many clear cut chances. Eleven of those shots came from the boot of Lionel Messi, including a penalty kick miss, but even Messi could not find his scoring boots.
Sergio Aguero’s goal was a thing of beauty and Argentina’s only bright spot in front of goal. The Manchester City striker often looks jaded at major tournaments and we do not see the best of him. Aguero looks fresh for this World Cup and will be a key figure.
Worrying for Argentina is the fact they could only hold onto their lead for four minutes. Much has been said about Argentina’s soft belly and it was exposed against Iceland. Against a more attacking team, Argentina could have lost this match.
The Croatia versus Nigeria game will not go down in the history books as one of the best matches in World Cup history, but it could be vitally important to Croatia who are on the brink of reaching the Round of 16.
Luka Modric lit up an otherwise dull affair, creating the opening goal when his corner was bundled into Oghenekaro Etebo’s own goal and he then tucked away a 71st minute penalty to make sure all three points were heading to the Croatians.
Modric has become unpopular in his homeland thanks to a saga that has seen him charged with perjury but the Croatian fans will start to love the midfielder again if he can pull the strings and guide Croatia to a draw or better against their much-fancied opponents.
Croatia will likely be happy with a draw as it would all but secure their path to the knockout stages; they’d only need a draw against Iceland to progress. Argentina need a win because they face a Nigeria side that came from 2-0 down to win 4-2 in their final game of the group.
The draw comes in at +235 and that looks decent value, although the Draw No Bet market on Argentina’s side at -225 is another market you should consider. If you want to bet on an actual score, 1-1 is the favorite at Bovada at +550, with an Argentina 1-0 win priced at +600 and a 0-0 draw coming in at +700.
Category : Betting PicksMore articles...
A post-bout brawl involving several people from both fighter's corners broke out. For his part in the mayhem, Nurmagomedov was suspended nine months and fined $500,000. Dustin Poirier, Nurmagomedov's opponent, won the interim UFC lightweight world title belt during Nurmagomedov's suspension.
Other famous winners of the Travers States are Alydar, Arrogate, Buckpasser, Easy Goer, Man o’ War, Point Given, and Sword Dancer. The winner of this race also receives an automatic entry into the Breeders' Cup.