2020 Kentucky Derby Picks
It is time to make your 2020 Kentucky Derby picks, as the $3 million race takes place September 5 at Churchill Downs. It is the most important horse race of the year, wtih 20 three-year-old horses racing to wear the Roses.
Kentucky Derby 2020 Picks
Free Kentucky Derby picks are here:
$20 Win/Place/Show on Tiz the Law.
He is the favorite in the race and so far seems to be the best horse in the crop. He has won three Grade 1 races this year; no other horse comes close. This is your winner of the Florida Derby (G1), a race that often produces the Kentucky Derby winner, such as Orb, Nyquist, Big Brown, and Always Dreaming.
|Odds to win the 2020 Kentucky Derby|
Tiz The Law
Kentucky Derby 2020 Predictions
A longshot horse almost always sneaks into the Kentucky Derby superfecta or Kentucky Derby trifecta. The payouts can be huge - in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Even if you don't feel comfortable, playing a big bet like that, you can save money by playing longshots to hit the board.
$5 Show: Storm the Court, Winning Impression, and Sole Volante.
Kentucky Derby 2020 Field
The field for the 2020 Kentucky Derby with jockeys and trainers is:
- Tiz the Law: Barclay Tagg / Manny Franco
- Art Collector: Tom Drury / Brian Hernandez, Jr
- Honor A. P.: John Shirreffs / Mike Smith
- Authentic: Bob Baffert / John Velazquez
- Thousand Words: Bob Baffert / Florent Geroux
- Caracaro: Gustavo Delgado / Javier Castellano
- King Guillermo: Juan Carlos Avila / Samy Camacho
- Max Player: Steve Asmussen / Ricardo Santana, Jr
- Dr Post: Todd Pletcher / Tyler Gaffalione
- Enforceable: Mark Casse / Adam Beschizza
- Ny Traffic: Saffie Joseph, Jr / Paco Lopez
- Shirl's Speight: Roger Attfield / Corey Lanerie
- Attachment Rate: Dale Romans / Joe Talamo
- Finnick the Fierce: Rey Hernandez / Martin Garcia
- Major Fed: Greg Foley / James Graham
- Necker Island: Chris Hartmann / Miguel Mena
- Rushie: Michael McCarthy / TBA
- Sole Volante: Patrick Biancone / Luca Panici
- Storm the Court: Peter Eurton / Julien Leparoux
- Winning Impression: Dallas Stewart / Joe Rocco, Jr.
Kentucky Derby Handicapping
It is very important to pick a Sportsbook that best suits your needs when handicapping the Kentucky Derby and betting the Kentucky Derby online. Many sportsbooks are offering special 2020 Kentucky Derby bonus wagers with money-back opportunities, so make sure to select yours carefully.
Best Picks for Kentucky Derby
To make your best pick for the Kentucky Derby, you need to know about the strengths and weaknesses of the field. Tiz the Law is the favorite off of three Grade 1 wins this year. Art Collector is the second choice; he is on a winning streak that includes the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G2) over Swiss Skydiver, the favorite for the Kentucky Oaks. He most recently won the Ellis Park Derby at Ellis Park in August.
Authentic and Thousand Words hail from the barn of five-time Kentucky Derby-winning trainer Bob Baffert. Authentic won the rich TVG Haskell (G1) over Ny Traffic, who just barely missed by a head.
Thousand Words defeated favored Honor A. P. in the Shared Belief Stakes on August 1 at Del Mar. Honor A. P. won the Runhappy Santa Anita Derby (G1) and is trained by John Shirreffs and ridden by Mike Smith; together they won the 2005 Derby with Giacomo.
King Guillermo won the Tampa Bay Derby (G2) in March at 49-1 and has been training at Churchill Downs longer than anyone. Unbeaten Shirl's Speight rounds out the top contenders; he has only raced two times but has looked very impressive.
The exacta is an easy bet to make, and if you box it, the horses can finish in either order
- $1 Exacta Box: Tiz the Law/Art Collector
You can also key the bet, such as:
- $1 Exacta Key: Tiz the Law with Art Collector, Ny Traffic, and Sole Volante
Kentucky Derby Pick 6
There are 13 major stakes races Kentucky Derby week, starting on Thursday, September 3, and going through the races at Churchill Downs on September 5. The Kentucky Derby Pick 6 will encompass all stakes races, the $500,000 American Turf, the $500,000 Derby City Distaff, the $500,000 Pat Day Mile, the $500,000 Churchill Distaff Turf Mile, and the $1 million Old Forester Bourbon Turf Classic leading up to the Kentucky Derby itself.
There is a special Oaks Day/Derby Day Pick 6 that has a $2 minimum wager and is separate from the regular Pick 6 of both of those days. The regular Pick 6 has a minimum bet of 20 cents.
The other wagers available on Kentucky Derby day are the Pick 5 (picking 5 winners in a row), three rich Pick 4s (picking 4 winners in a row), rolling Daily Doubles (two in a row) and Pick 3s (3 winners in a row). There is also the Super Hi 5 wager, and Win, Place, Show, Exacta, Trifecta, and Superfecta wagering available on all races. The Oaks-Derby double is a famous bet where you pick the winner of the Kentucky Oaks on Friday and the winner of the Kentucky Derby on Saturday.
Post positions for the 2020 Kentucky Derby will be chosen on September 2.