Breeders’ Cup Turf 2018 Odds
Last year saw a lot of heavy favorites falter in the Breeders’ Cup races, and the Turf was no different, with Highland Reel running third, leaving the door open for Talismanic to grab the win at odds of 14-1. Over the past decade the Turf has averaged winning odds of around 7-1. The favorite has only won once in that time, but has run second on four occasions. Four of the past five winners have come in from Ireland or the UK.
Here’s a look at the probable field for the 2018 Breeders’ Cup Turf. The first number indicates the pre-entry odds from Churchill Downs, the second is the future bet odds in Bovada’s racebook as of October 23. All horses are available on request.
Final entries and morning line odds will be anounced Monday, October 29.
Enable (7/5, -150)
- There’s not much to be said about this superstar mare beyond the fact she has won her last eight races, all of them stakes and six of those at the Group 1 level. Comes in after defending her championship in the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe the biggest race in France.
Roaring Lion (5/1, +350)
- His record is almost as good as Enable, with three wins in a row and four in his last five. He won a big Group 1 race at Ascot on October 20 in his eighth race of the year, so the only question might be fatigue.
- A UK-bred that has done all his racing in France, he put together a solid string of wins himself this summer, and two back beat 2017 BC Turf champ Talismanic. He was fourth but only 1 1/2 lengths behind Enable last race.
- 01Channel Maker Can Handle The Distance
- 02Glorious Empire An Upset Winner Last Race
- 03Bet The Breeders' Cup Turf
Channel Maker Can Handle The Distance
Channel Maker (12/1)
- Ontario-bred is top North American threat, coming in off a win in the (G1) Joe Hirsch Turf Classic at Belmont Park where he led wire-to-wire at 1 1/2 miles. It was his second win in three starts and he might be peaking at the right time.
Chrystal Ocean (12/1, +600)
- He was a well-beaten second last out in a Group 1 race at Ascot behind a very good horse, but he seems to thrive at the distance and has won on tracks rated soft or firm, which could be a factor at Churchill.
Robert Bruce (12/1, +1600)
- He was no match for Channel Maker in the Joe Hirsch, before that he was good enough to take the (G1) Arlington Million, a race where the favorite was pulled up and finished last.
Cloth Of Stars (15/1, +1400)
- He has been competitive over his 20-race career running mostly in France where he has been in the money in seven of his last nine races, but without a win.
Glorious Empire An Upset Winner Last Race
Glorious Empire (15/1 +2500)
- Had some good results early in his career in the UK, last year racing in North America he was just so-so. But he’s come alive in 2018, beat Channel Maker last out in the (G1) Sword Dancer for his third straight win.
Capri (20/1, +2500)
- A two-time Group 1 winner last year, he has struggled in 2018 and recent poor results could keep him out of the race.
- He has a couple of graded-stakes wins under his saddle and was second last out in the (G3) Sycamore Stakes but he’s taking a big step up in competition level here.
Best Future Bet Value – Waldgeist
Bet The Breeders' Cup Turf
The 2018 Breeders’ Cup Turf will be run on Saturday, November 3 from Churchill Downs, with an expected post time of 4:56 PM Eastern. The race will be broadcast live on the NBC Sports Network.
You can bet the full 14 races of the 2018 Breeders’ Cup through Bovada or one of these other online racebooks.