Breeders’ Cup Distaff 2018 Odds
It has been seven years since a three-year-old filly won the Distaff, with Untapable the last to turn the trick back in 2011. From a betting point of view, the Distaff is one race in the Breeders’ Cup schedule that often runs true to form, with lower-priced contenders often getting the win, an important consideration when putting together multiple-race betting tickets.
Here’s a look at the probable field for the 2018 Breeders’ Cup Distaff, with the first number indicating the Churchill Downs pre-entry odds, the second the current future bet odds in Bovada’s online racebook as of October 22. All horses can be bet at Bovada upon request.
Final entries and morning line odds will be announced on Monday, October 29.
Monomy Girl (5/2, +150)
- The best of the female three-year-old class, she won the 2018 Kentucky Oaks right in the middle of a five-race winning streak this season. She would be undefeated in six this year after hitting the wire first last out in the Cotillion Stakes but was disqualified to second.
Able Tasman (9/2, +300)
- Winner of the 2017 Kentucky Oaks and second in this race last year, she’s had an erratic season, with two solid Grade 1 wins stuffed between two uncharacteristically poor efforts, including fifth last out in the (G1) Zenyatta Stakes.
Midnight Bisou (5/1, +450)
- The second big three-year-old contender, she raced in the shadow of Monomoy Girl for most of the season while racking up five wins of her own, until she got the DQ victory over her rival in the Cotillion. Likes to come from off the pace with one big run.
Blue Prize An Option At A Price
Blue Prize (8/1, +1600)
- Five-year-old Argentina-bred has only been out of the money in one of 12 US starts with four graded-stakes wins, three of them on the Churchill dirt. Very intruguing at long odds.
Wow Cat (12/1)
- A winner of her first eight lifetime starts in her native Chile, she’s been in the money in all three of her US starts including a fairly easy win last out in the (G1) Beldame Stakes at Belmont Park.
Champagne Problems (15/1)
- Only just moved up to graded-stakes racing this year in her 18th lifetime start, but she has been competitive in those with a win and two runner-up finishes, including last time out in the (G1) Juddmonte Spinster, 3/4 of a length back of Blue Prize.
Eskimo Kisses (15/1, +1600)
- Another member of the three-year-old class, she looked to take a big step forward when she won the (G1) Alabama Stakes, but couldn’t sustain that momentum when finishing seventh in the Juddmonte.
Long Shots Are Short On Wins
La Force (15/1)
- German-bred but California-based mare has yet to win at the graded-stakes level but has been the runner-up in three straight Grade 1 efforts.
Vale Dori (15/1, +800)
- Scored her first win since May 2017 in taking the (G1) Zenyatta Stakes at Santa Anita in a race where heavy favorite Abel Tasman ran fifth.
Wonder Gadot (20/1, +1800)
- Showed a lot of promise when narrowly beaten by Monomoy Girl in the Kentucky Oaks, then won both the Queen’s Plate and Prince of Wales Stakes over males in her native Canada, but her best seems a cut below the top ones here.
Best Future Bet Value – Blue Prize
Bet The Breeders' Cup Distaff
The 2018 Breeders’ Cup Distaff will be run on Saturday, November 3 from Churchill Downs, with an expected post time of 4:16 PM Eastern. The race will be broadcast live on the NBC network.
You can bet the fillies and mares in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff with an account at Bovada’s online racebook.